18 Feb BP Drill: Loading, Timing & Tracking
PREPARING FOR THE HARSH REALITIES OF GAME DAY
Grow The Confidence To Hit Better On Game Day
Training to hit difficult pitches, and locations; transfers the message to your brain you can hit any pitch. In short, they need to see it to believe it. Why is this so important? If you have self-doubt this reveals itself during your game day at-bats, in the form of “rushing,” and “flying open with the front shoulder;” influenced by your subconscious. Laser Power ST, Triggered Batting Practice and Laser Reflex set-up; you to track the ball, making contact closer to your body; growing the confidence to stay back and “crush” a dominant game day fastball.
TRADITIONAL BATTING PRACTICE & IMPROPER HABITS
- Your timing is skewed as the “distance-to-speed” ratio differs to facing a pitcher on the mound.
- Taking 10-20 swings in a short time, causes you to “rush” your swing; triggering “pulling off the ball,” “jumping,” “lunging,” and “reaching.”
- The inaccuracy of the Batting Practice thrower triggers players to swing at bad pitches; detrimental to plate recognition.
BENEFITS OF TRIGGERED BATTING PRACTICE
- Improves your tempo, the throwing motion is triggered with three steps.
- The pitching screen is closer to home plate, making it easier to throw strikes.
- The “distance-to-speed” ratio replicates game day.
- Improves your swing load mechanisms.
- Trains your swing to “run on autopilot;” useful in “two-strike” and, “see and reach” hitting situations.
- Trains a short, and explosive swing; exposing weaknesses.
- Develops your “up-the-middle,” and “opposite field” hitting approach.
- Teaches release point techniques such as, “close your mind and open your eyes,” focal and target points.
- Reset and clear your mind after a bad swing, maintaining your composure on game day.
- Improve your reaction time, pitch recognition and plate discipline.
- Reduce strikeouts, developing your “two strike” hitting approach.
STEP 1: FOCUS ON AN AREA NEXT TO THE PITCHING SCREEN. AIM TO HIT THE BALL AT YOUR TARGET.
STEP 2: FOCUS ON THE BALL AND CLEAR YOUR MIND
STEP 3: START YOUR LOAD WITH A SMALL TURN OF YOUR FRONT KNEE
STEP 4: STRIDE AS THE BALL RELEASES, AND PLANT YOUR FRONT FOOT BEFORE THE BALL TRAVELS HALF THE DISTANCE FROM THE PITCHING SCREEN TO HOME PLATE.
STEP 5: TRACK THE BALL, MAKE CONTACT CLOSER TO YOUR BODY, AND FOCUS ON THE HATS AFTER CONTACT.
Keep hand movement to a minimum as you load, and stride. Avoiding conscious thoughts of loading with your hands, which leads to overloading, or wrapping. Focus on loading from your core, your hands naturally separate as you stride forward; AKA swing separation....21 August, 2018 Stance, Load, Timing